Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Creatures and Textures


Here are more creatures. By this point, I was exhausted, so some of these aren't all that I want them to be. All of these are examples of me working out how to create certain textures with pen and ink. India ink is such a binary medium, sometimes.

The beastie at the head of this post is a kind of anteater whose hide is covered with rocky scales. I tended to approach drawing this guy as if he was Ben Grimm, the Thing, from The Fantastic Four. I envision this guy as being orange for some reason.
This is a fire-breathing lizard. A salamander in the classic sense of that word. Based on a couple of different monitor lizards, including the Komodo dragon. Drawing the scales on this was an exercise in tedium. Creating art is a job, after all, and all jobs have long periods of tedium. I'm sure I spent way more time on this than I probably should have.
The brief for this was for a six-legged cross between a boar and a horse. Weird. Not entirely unsuccessful. The game this is for is partially a miniatures game and I've seen the green for the miniature this corresponds with. While I was drawing it, I thought of this guy as a hipster boar for some reason. I think it's the beard.
Finally, something legitimately alien. These beasties are a land-based coral that create gravel around themselves. Another drawing where I spent a lot of time on tedious details. This one indulges in pointilism, which is always a chore to draw. I like the end result. I sometimes like the idea of being an artist even when I hate creating art.

Only a few more to go after these, and then it's back to comics.







Patreon Logo
I'm trying out Patreon as a means of funding my blogs. They don't have a widget yet, so this link will just have to do. If you like my writing and art and if you'd like to support Krell Laboratories and Christianne's Art and Comics, please come on over and pledge. Thanks.






No comments:

Post a Comment